5 Things You Should Know About Home Hospice Care in Westchester, NY
The 5 most important things you should know about choosing at-home hospice in Westchester, NY
Making the decision to place your loved one in hospice care can be a difficult task. At Jansen Hospice & Palliative Care, we want to make this choice as easy and comfortable for you as possible. Below we have listed the 5 most important things to know about our hospice care in Westchester.
1. Each patient has a team to execute their personal care plan.
Each patient is different and requires different treatment management. Jansen’s care team works closely with the patient’s primary care physician and family to understand and meet the patient’s needs. This care team consists of:
- A medical doctor certified in Hospice and Palliative Care who works with the patient’s primary care doctor to manage symptoms.
- Registered Nurses (RN) experienced in coordinating plans of care, pain management, symptom management, and more.
- Certified Home Health Aides (HHA) trained in hospice care who assist with personal care needs.
- A Certified Chaplain who provides spiritual care.
- On-Call Services with registered nurses who assist with questions, concerns, and support 24/7.
- Medical Social workers who help make sure a patient’s end-of-life wishes are met and provide emotional support.
2. Jansen’s hospice services aim to meet the patient’s medical, emotional, and spiritual needs.
After discussing the patient and family’s needs, the care team will work together to provide comfort through our at home hospice Westchester County services below:
- 24-hour on-call services and assistance
- Medical director who is responsible for overall medical care and planning
- Skilled nursing care and visits from a registered nurse
- Certified home health aides who provide care and assistance with personal needs
- Certified social workers who assist with resource and care planning, in addition to providing emotional support
- Spiritual counseling for all faith communities
- Bereavement counseling including individual and group support
- Specially trained volunteers who provide companionship and assistance with daily living, friendly support, and respite care for caregivers
- Medications for symptom management and pain control
- Medical supplies and equipment
- Therapies – physical, occupational and speech therapies, as needed for symptom management
- Short-term inpatient and respite care for up to five days at contracted facilities
- Nutritional counseling
3. Jansen takes comfort a step beyond with complementary care services.
Not only do we want to ensure medical comfort, we want to provide an overall sense of well being. These integrative therapies can provide relaxation, mind-stimulating activities, and a sense of peace during their terminal care at home in Westchester, NY:
- Acupuncture: Stimulation of anatomical points on the body in order to ease pain.
- Reflexology: The application of pressure, stretch and movement to break up patterns of stress, promote relaxation, and decrease pain.
- Art Therapy: Artistic self-expression helps to resolve conflicts, develop interpersonal skills, manage behavior, reduce stress, increase self-esteem, increase self-awareness, and achieve insight.
- Reiki: Japanese technique administered by “laying on hands” for stress reduction and relaxation.
- Pet Therapy: Animals provide a constant source of comfort, focus for attention, safety, and acceptance
- Therapeutic: Promotes relaxation, may reduce pain, and supports a sense of well being.
- Acoustic/Music Relaxation: Reduces blood pressure, relieves anxiety, provides a way to release emotions, provides a way to express feelings, augments pain management, provides distraction, and reduces stress.
- Aromatherapy: Used for the relief of pain, care for the skin, alleviate tension and fatigue and invigorate the entire body.
- Massage Therapy: Promotes the integration of the whole mind-body-spirit, resulting in a calmer mind and clearer thinking.
4. We have been providing terminal care at home in Westchester County, NY for over 35 years.
Jansen Hospice & Palliative care has been bringing the gift of dignity and hope to families in Westchester and Bronx counties since 1984. For over 35 years, the care provided by our nurses, social workers, doctors, aides, therapists and volunteers has truly been immeasurable.
Our passion for helping others and experience over the years has helped us curate the best environment and team to take care fo your loved ones. We treat each patient like family and take pride in providing peace at life’s most vulnerable time.
5. We take pride in the feedback we receive and work hard to be the best we can be every day.
At Jansen Hospice & Palliative Care, we believe there is something to take from every interaction. We appreciate the feedback we receive because it enables us to continue to help make the world a better place. Read some of our reviews below:
“This place changed everything for my family. We struggled with caring for my mom at home for 5 years and when they arrived it was like angels singing… Our social worker – Jody and our RN Violeta – made my mom comfortable and cared not only for her, but for our family as if we were their own. They were kind, compassionate and knowledgeable. I HIGHLY recommend them!!!” – Jody R.
“Jansen made an unbearable experience somewhat bearable. My wife of 52 years went into hospice at home on August 4 and died on August 29 from metastatic breast cancer. The moment we agreed with the doctors to end chemo and move to hospice, Jansen took over. Social Worker Deb Hanley organized everything. Nurse Marcia Roberts was available at all times and made sure that we had all the necessary medicines and equipment before we knew that we needed them. The aides who came to our home every day were all both kind and competent. I had never heard of Jansen before the staff at Lawrence Hospital introduced us. I do not know how to say thank you any better than writing this 5-star review.” – William H.